Chiropractors do so much more than spinal manipulation. Below is a brief description of four of the modern, safe and effective techniques we use at the Sleeping Better Clinic to treat a variety of conditions.
To find out more about these and any of the other modalities we employ to treat each patient holistically, or to arrange your first appointment, please call us on 9510 7700 today.
This technique is a test of how your nervous system is functioning in the musculoskeletal system. It uses muscle testing to provide a clear understanding of the way the connections between the brain, body chemistry and nervous system and the muscles, glands and major organs of the body are all working together.
As a tool in the diagnostic arsenal of a skilled Chiropractor, it can also provide far more information about structural aspects of the body such as the stability of the head and neck, posture, balance and the coordination of muscles.
Neuro-Organizational Technique (NOT)
This is a technique usually used alongside the applied Kinesiology technique mentioned above. It is a structured method of examining each patient.
The basic principle of this technique, is that the body’s systems are designed to enable us to survive by enabling the function of our digestive and reproductive systems and the flight or fight response to perceived danger.
These functions controlled via the brain and spinal cord, send neuro-impulses back and forth between the brain through the nerves to the body’s muscles and organs. NOT enables a skilled practitioner to address any deficiencies in the way these bodily systems respond to environmental stressors and/or stimuli.
These complex systems can be affected by:
- Trauma from a physical injury
- A change in body chemistry from the environment, infection or illness, toxins and ingested chemicals from prescription medications
- Emotional trauma including (but not limited to) physical, sexual or emotional abuse (ongoing or in the past), bereavement, financial worries, a stressful job.
NOT treatments have proven effective in the following conditions:
- In Children, learning disabilities, ADD and ADHD
- In all patients, chronic conditions such as headaches, fibromyalgia, sleep disorders such as snoring and sleep apnoea, lowered immunity and food and chemical sensitivities
It has also proved effective in assisting with rehabilitation for stroke patients and for athletes who have suffered from repeated injuries.
Sacro Occipital Technique (SOT)
The Sacro Occipital Technique is a method by which, a Chiropractor can work to promote normal function of the brain and spinal cord by normalizing the relationship between the top and the bottom of the spine. This technique takes its name from the Sacrum at the base of the spine and the Occiput, the back of the head.
It is a system incorporating Chiropractic and Craniopathy techniques to remove any neurological, structural or functional problem interfering with the body’s own natural healing systems. This is facilitated by using integrated procedures that include Chiropractic spinal adjustments and Craniopathy, soft tissue reflexes, functional neurology, and optimizing nutrition.
The cranium refers to all the bones that make up the skull. Cranial work or ‘Craniopathy’ is a specialized Chiropractic technique that focuses on the benefits of stimulating micro-movements within the bones of the cranium to improve the circulation of the cerebro-spinal fluid (CSF) which is so vital to a healthy body. Patients find this a gentle and relaxing treatment with many health benefits.
The circulation of CSF can be affected by trauma to the head, by illness (particularly viral infection) and chronic stress.
This technique can also be hugely beneficial for children because of the trauma to the head during the birth process.
- It can help babies suffering from feeding problems, excessive crying, digestive problems with colic and wind, repeated regurgitation of milk and, of course, sleep disturbances.
- It can help older children for whom, the stresses to the cranium during birth can lead to retained moulding of the bones of the skull. These children often have weakened immune systems and are more prone to ear infections, sinus and dental problems as well as behavioural problems including learning difficulties, ADD and ADHD. Cranial problems are also, linked with sleep disorders, general aches and pains including headaches as well as frequent chest infections and a tendency towards asthma.
Live Life To The Full With Our Help!
We all live on a planet where our bodies are affected by gravity every second of every day of our lives. If anything is out of balance – whether this is with our body’s biomechanics, body chemistry or our emotional well-being, it will have an effect in other areas too. The techniques used at the Sleeping Better Clinic, can help to rebalance the body to help all our patients of whatever age, to live life to the full and achieve their fullest potential.