It is estimated that between 5% and 15% of the population suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) so, if this is a condition you have been suffering from, you are definitely not alone.
What is Restless Leg Syndrome?
Restless Leg Syndrome and the related condition periodic limb movement syndrome are conditions experienced when at rest or relaxing and most usually in bed, at night. RLS causes an urge to move to relieve unpleasant feelings in the legs and causes the sufferer great difficulty falling asleep. Sometimes this urge to move affects the arms as well. It may occur without unpleasant sensations being present and can make sleep impossible, leading to daytime exhaustion.
The Problems of Treatment with Medication
You may have been dismayed and worried about the possible side effects and implications for other areas of your health of taking the medications your Doctor has suggested. ‘Dopamine Agonist’ medications, commonly prescribed to treat the problem, may make things worse through processes called ‘Augmentation’ and ‘Rebound’¹.
- Augmentation causes the symptoms experienced to appear earlier in the day and these might be more severe, more easily induced, and may spread to include other limbs not previously affected.
- Rebound causes the symptoms to reappear as soon as the effects of the drugs have worn off.
Other side effects of medication include nausea, dizziness, constipation and daytime tiredness that can result in accident or injury. Dopamine agonists have also been linked to some compulsive behaviours such as gambling.
We Offer a Better Solution
You owe it to yourself to find out more about how the holistic approach at The Better Sleep Clinic, offering a completely new health paradigm – enhancing physiology, neurology and biochemistry to treat conditions such as RLS – could help you.
Call us today on 9510 7700 to find out more.
Our approach offers a completely drug-free alternative to treating RLS in both adults and children and it is a condition that responds well to Chiropractic care and Nutritional intervention.
Things we can investigate to find the cause of your problem and set you on the road to recovery include:
- Whether you have a spinal misalignment in the lumbar region of your spine
- Whether you are experiencing a build-up of lactic acid in your muscles
- Whether you are deficient in Magnesium, an important mineral required for the correct relaxation of muscles
- Whether you are suffering from Copper toxicity
- Whether you are suffering from another sleep condition such as Snoring or Sleep Apnoea that can make the symptoms worse
These are just a few of the areas that our comprehensive initial assessment will cover. We need to find out the exact cause of the problem in your case so that we can start a safe, gentle and effective treatment protocol tailored specifically for you.
¹Australian Prescriber (http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/31/4/90/3/)